Meeting Date: 
February 15, 2016
02/15/2016 1:00 pm to 2:00 pm
Valley Library 4960 - Drinkward Room
Event Description: 

A PDF of the minutes can be found here.


OSU Faculty Senate Faculty Status Committee

Meeting Minutes

Monday, February 15, 2016

1:00 pm – 2:00 pm


Valley Library 4960 (Drinkward Room)


Minute Taker: Jennifer Beamer

Members Present: Randal Milstein, Cara Walter, Kristen Ziebart, Jennifer Beamer, Kathleen Stanley, and Cheryl Middleton

Members unable to attend: Yuliya Dennis & Yanyun Zhao


Old Business:


Professor of Teaching – considerations in moving forward with a proposal discussion

  • Kristen provided examples of tenured roles for instructors at other institutions.
  • Kathleen also provided materials from UofO regarding NTT review and promotion as well as academic classification and rank.
  • The committee discussed that there appears to be a 50/50 split for support from the faculty senate on the creation of a ‘Professor of Teaching.’
  • Concerns were raised regarding if this is a piecemeal solution to a greater problem, specifically funding.
  • Could a new rank benefit some, create a larger gap, hurt other instructors?
  • There is also concern regarding how/what would this look like for an instructor with FTE split across different units or Colleges.
  • Question raised regarding ‘why aren’t we encouraging using the TT Instructor rank that already exists? Has it been used, can we find out if any instructor has been promoted to TT in the last 10 years? What would be/is the difference between existing TT Instructor rank and a proposed Professor of Teaching?
  • How would we go about proposing who is eligible for the new rank?
  • Committee has agreed to move forward with steps toward creating a proposal for the Professor of Teaching rank


Action Items:

  • Cheryl will meet with Brenda McComb to gauge her position on supporting a proposal for the Professor of Teaching
  • Cheryl will be meeting with the EC in the next two weeks to discuss the committee moving forward with a proposal.
  • The committee will continue discussion via email regarding moving forward and next steps in creating the proposal.
  • Kathleen and Cara will review more data from the “We Power Orange” survey