Meeting Date: 
October 5, 2020
Date: 
Mon 10/05/2020 4:00 pm to 5:00 pm
Location: 
Zoom Meeting
Agenda: 
  1. Welcome and Introductions
    • Membership, affiliations, term ending:
         Melissa Santala, Chair ’22   Mechanical, Industrial & Manufacturing Engineering
         David Barber ’21                  Information Services
         Marit Bovbjerg ’21               Biological & Population Health Sciences
         Christine Gallagher ’21       Graphic Design
         Carolyn Fonyo ’22              Graduate School
         Kate Kerish ’22                   INTO OSU
         Erica Fleishman ’23           College of Earth, Ocean, & Atmospheric Sciences
         Hua-yu Li ’23                      Public Policy
         Janet Nishihara ’23            Educational Opportunities Program
         Student Members:
             TBA (undergrad)
             TBA (grad)
             TBA
         Ex-Officio Member: OSU Libraries – Faye Chadwell
         Executive Committee Liaison – Jane Waite
  1. Housekeeping
    • Minutes, identification of secretary
    • Review of Standing Rules:
           The Library Committee advises the University Librarian in (1) meeting the learning, instruction, and resource needs of students, faculty and staff; (2) formulating library policies in relation to circulation, budgets, services, and development of resources for instruction and research; (3) interpreting the needs policies of the library to the University; and 4) identifying and addressing issues regarding scholarly communication (e.g. print and electronic journals and books).
           The Committee consists of nine Faculty members, ideally providing a broad representation of academic disciplines, and three Student members, including at least one undergraduate and one graduate student, and the University Librarian, or designee, as an ex-officio, non-voting member. One faculty member may be retired.
    • Review of the 2019-2020 Library Committee Annual Report
    • Open positions: Graduate student member, undergraduate student, “at-large” student
  2. Updates from the University Librarian – Faye Chadwell
    • Library re-opening
    • Budget impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic
    • Open & Sustainable Scholarly Communications group
Minutes: 

Voting members present: David Barber, Marit Bovbjerg, Erica Fleishman, Carolyn Fonyo, Christine Gallagher, Kate Kerish, Hua-Yu Li, Melissa Santala 
Ex-officio member present: University Librarian – Faye Chadwell

 

Welcome and introductions
Christine volunteered to take minutes (maybe to be secretary)

Reviewed Standing Rules
Communication, advise, advocacy. Listen to needs and represent students, library, community.

Looking for Student Members
If Library Committee members have students to recommend, contact Vickie Nunnemaker. Student members are appointed through the ASOSU.

Review of Annual Report

  • Failure to meet due to COVID-19 and possible poor or lack of communication.
  • We need the enthusiasm of the committee members to drive us.
  • Hopefully, we will be more active this year.

Updates from University Librarian – Faye Chadwell

  • Library COVID update: open to user access on reservation only, second floor
  • Opening has gone well – Committee members may make an appointment to visit:
  • Current hours 10AM–5PM. Considering evening hours.
  • Haven’t reached capacity, but students are currently discouraged from using the library just for printing, and instead to use resources that can’t be accessed elsewhere.
  • Experimenting with circulation of ‘Wi-Fi hot spots’.
  • Providing virtual/remote support as well.
  • Prioritizing needs and health/safety of students and library employees.
  • Hua-Yu and Kate commented that the library is doing a ‘great job’
  • Staffing changes have created challenges for recruiting and hiring.

Budget

  • Substantial carryover avoided big reductions.
  • Salary savings offset reductions.
  • Reducing collection spending.
  • Moving offsite storage (with carryover funding).
  • Will provide more detail on budget in November.
  • Erica questioned staffing issues and upkeep. Trying to keep up with on-site + remote assistance/services.
  • David asked if Elsevier is up for renewal. OK – little to no inflation in cost.

Open & Sustainable Scholarly Communications Advisory Group (OSSCAG)

  • 90-95% of the Library’s collection budget goes toward serials and subscriptions (e.g., journals).
  • The OSSCAG Advisory Group to discuss and promote Open access and address the question:
  • What are the terms and conditions of contracts with publishers that the OSU community can live with long term?
  • The Committee and OSSCAG may stand behind this and work together.
  • Committee members are welcome to join OSSCAG meeting.
  • Carolyn thought it could be interesting to do an assessment of digital journals and carbon imprint.
  • David noted that the source funding for publishing fees is mostly internally funded.

In Closing

  • Next meeting in November. The Chair will send agenda a couple days prior to meeting.
  • Questions or agenda items may be sent to the Chair prior to the next meeting.
  • Committee members do not otherwise have action items before the next meeting.

 

Minutes taken by Christine Gallagher