Meeting Date: 
November 27, 2017
Date: 
Mon 11/27/2017 1:00 pm to 2:00 pm
Location: 
3622 East Valley Library, Willamette East Seminar Room
Event Description: 

A PDF of the agenda can be found here.

Agenda: 

Membership

  • Membership changes
    • Lyn Riverstone has moved to the Faculty Grievance Committee.
    • Marita Barth begins a new term of service. 
    • New undergraduate student member: Wes Prebeck II (Fisheries and Wildlife)
    • New graduate student member: Amanda Kirk (Counseling)
  • Review terms of service

Raven Chakerian, Chair 2018
Vipin Arora 2018
Cheridy Aduviri 2019
Nancy Allen 2019
Marita Barth 2020
Stephen Redfield 2020
Amanda Kirk, Student Member (grad) 2018
Wes Prebeck, Student Member (undergrad) 2018
Stefanie Buck, Ex-Officio 2018
Lisa Ganio, Ex-Officio 2018
Walt Loveland, Ex-Officio 2018
Tom Miller, Ex-Officio 2018
Lisa Templeton (Karen Watte), Ex-Officio 2018

  • Ex-officio member from the Center for Teaching and Learning.
    •  Waiting for response from Vickie

Survey updates

  • Definition of hybrid – should also include hybrid courses delivered via Ecampus.
  • Include “hybrid courses delivered via Ecampus” in our list of course types
  • Add the following to our list of “issues of importance in training and professional development”
    • Engaging students in online environments
    • Using data and learning analytics to support student success
    • The scholarship of teaching and learning in relation to online and hybrid teaching
    • Pedagogy basics for online teaching and learning
    • Managing collaborative learning in online and hybrid courses
    • Managing larger class sizes in online and hybrid courses
  • Survey
  • Ecampus Research Fellows funding for survey analysis – Marita Barth

Online Awards/Recognition – Nancy Allen

  • Updates and list of existing awards

Improving Online Advising – Nancy Allen

Online Learning Consortium (OLC) conference highlights – Cub Khan

Hybrid Updates – Cub Khan

Subcommittees

  • Establish subcommittee members
  • Select chair
  • Set date for first meeting

Ongoing/Pending/Follow-up Items

  • Next Meeting – Watch for a doodle poll for January’s meeting
  • Membership – Waiting for response from Vickie about Center for Teaching and Learning official membership
  • Survey Distribution – (1) address changes, get final approval, (2) January distribution, (3) email list from Human Resources and apportionment lists Faculty Senate
  • Subcommittee Meetings – Meet and report back in January meeting

 

 

Minutes: 

Voting members present: Cheridy Aduviri, Nancy Allen, Marita Barth, Raven Chakerian, Amanda Kirk, Stephen Redfield
Voting members absent: Vipin Arora, Wes Prebeck
Ex-Officio members present: University LibrariesStefanie Buck
Guests present: Cub Khan, Karen Watte

Membership

  • Review Membership changes:
    • Lyn Riverstone has moved to the Faculty Grievance Committee.
    • Marita Barth begins a new term of service.
    • New undergraduate student member: Wes Prebeck II (Fisheries and Wildlife) - Wes’s membership is pending approval from ASOSU
    • New graduate student member: Amanda Kirk (Counseling).
  • Terms of service were reviewed for all members. Last year there was confusion about how long each member’s service was.
  • Ex-officio member from the Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL). Waiting for response from Vickie as to making this official. It was voted on and approved last year.

Survey Updates

  • The following issues were discussed, per Shannon Riggs from Ecampus’ request:
    • Definition of hybrid – should also include hybrid courses delivered via Ecampus.
      • Change the definition to (change highlighted): “Includes both regularly scheduled on-site classroom meetings, and significant online out-of-classroom components, that replace regularly scheduled class meeting time. Hybrid courses may be offered on the Corvallis, Cascades and Hatfield campuses or via Ecampus.”
  • Include “hybrid courses delivered via Ecampus” in our list of course types (not doing so means the survey is not inclusive to all faculty; programs with this class type are growing)
    • Added the course type “hybrid via Ecampus” to the list of course types
  • Add the following to our list of “issues of importance in training and professional development”:
    • Engaging students in online environments
      • Added as an example in parenthesis to the existing option “improving/increasing professional development”
    • Using data and learning analytics to support student success
      • Added as an example in parenthesis to the existing option “improving/increasing professional development”
    • The scholarship of teaching and learning in relation to online and hybrid teaching
      • Discussion resulted in the conclusion that this point did not fit within the scope of survey as most faculty would not understand what it meant
    • Pedagogy basics for online teaching and learning
      • Added as an example in parenthesis to the existing option “improving/increasing professional development”
    • Managing collaborative learning in online and hybrid courses
      • Added as a selectable option
    • Managing larger class sizes in online and hybrid courses
      • Added as a selectable option
  • Updated survey  
    • Karen Watte will discuss the changes made with Shannon Riggs
    • Once the committee has approval from Shannon, Raven will touch base with the provost (who was asked to give approval before H.R. will release email lists for faculty) and the Faculty Senate Executive Committee who approved the original survey but may wish to review recent changes
  • The Committee discussed the option of applying for Ecampus Research Fellows funding to pay for the survey analysis through the Survey Research Center.
    • The Committee would have to wait until next fall to apply.
    • The Committee would also need to have IRB approval before distributing the survey
    • Stefanie will check with Katie Linder in the Ecampus Research Unit to see if the Committee might be able to access a funding application now as opposed to waiting until next fall
    • Stephen will also check with Carley Ries, Assistant Dean of Online Learning in the College of Engineering, to see if financial support may be available through them
    • Survey Research Center’s estimation for survey review, distribution and analysis was $6200

Online Awards/Recognition

  • From Shannon Riggs: “…worthy of exploration”. Asked to contact her once our research about existing awards is complete and the Committee will have a clearer idea of a proposal
  • Updates and list of existing awards from Nancy’s research:
    • From Amy Riley (Ecampus): Ecampus offers QM awards and possibly others for Ecampus instructors. Ecampus students are eligible for and win many awards across campus. Ecampus students have won Waldo-Cummings and Drucilla Sheppard Smith awards and have been Fullbright Scholars.
    • From Mary Chuinard (College off Earth, Ocean and Atmospheric Sciences): Doesn’t think there are specific awards in their college for Ecampus students. They strive to give an Environmental Excellence scholarship to an on-campus and e-campus student.
    • From Terina McLachlain (Forest Ecosystems and Society): Currently no Ecampus specific awards but it is being discussed.
    • From Paul Dorres (College of Agriculture): Currently no Ecampus specific awards. Would like to see the OSU Foundation “take that population more seriously and find some donors interested in creating an endowment”.

Improving Online Advising – Nancy Allen

  • Nancy prepared a list of issues to discuss. There was not enough time. Chaired until next meeting.

Online Learning Consortium (OLC) conference highlights – Cub Khan

  • Cub was prepared to share highlights from the OLC conference but there was not enough time. Cub offered to follow up with anyone interested and can also follow up with this at our January meeting.

Hybrid updates – Cub Khan

  • Did not have time to discuss this. Chaired until next meeting.

Subcommittees

  • Online Education Committee (OEC) chair would like to establish the following subcommittees. A chair and membership is suggested below. Members should follow up with the OEC chair with their preferences. Chairs would be responsible for establishing meeting times and agendas and presenting summary of sub-committee work at OEC wide meetings.
    • Promotion &Tenure – Marita Barth (chair), Cheridy Aduviri, Stefanie Buck, Raven Chakerian
    • Online/Hybrid Peer Reviews – Cheridy Aduviri (chair), Vipin Aurora, Cub Khan, Stephen Redfield
    • Awards/Recognition – Nancy Allen (chair), Raven Chakarian, Amanda Kirk, Karen Watte

Meeting length

  • It was suggested that the Committee go back to 1.5 hours meetings to allow adequate time. January’s meeting will be scheduled as 1.5 hours.

Ongoing/Pending/Follow-up Items

  • Next Meeting – Watch for a doodle poll for January’s meeting
  • Subcommittee meetings – Meet and report back in January meeting
  • Membership – Waiting for response from Vickie about CLT official membership; waiting for application and approval for undergrad student member Wes Prebeck II
  • Survey Distribution – (1) Waiting for approval from Shannon>Provost>Faculty Senate Executive Committee (2) January distribution? (3) Waiting for response from Ecampus Research Unit about funding for analysis (4) Need email list from Human Resources and apportionment lists Faculty Senate once the Committee has final approval